Russian teenagers commit suicide after live streaming shootout with police

- 11/18/2016
A heart pounding incident where two teenagers holed up in an apartment for 3 days and exchanged gunfire with police has shocked the world.

When Police finally broke into the apartment fortress, they found the 15-year-old couple ‘dead with gunshot wounds’ inside a house in the northwestern Pskov region of Russia after the standoff, the regional Investigative Committee said.

The National Guard special forces said in a statement to TASS news agency that they found ‘the bodies of a girl and a young man with clear signs of suicide,’ stressing they did not open fire.

Rare and unusual. Such armed incidents are highly unusual in Russia, where access to guns is tightly restricted.
Russian children’s ombudswoman Anna Kuznetsova had this to say:

‘This is a terrible tragedy. We’re looking into the circumstances and the details of what happened,’ Russian children’s ombudswoman Anna Kuznetsova told TASS.
Two Russian teens commit suicide after police shootout
Before they finalised their suicide pact, the teenage girl Katya explained in the footage posted on Periscope that there were guns in the house because her stepfather is ‘in the special forces’.

The boy Denis is shown firing a rifle from the window of the wooden house at a police van.

A tense standoff for security officials. Special police spent hours negotiating then stormed the house using stun grenades and found the teenagers shot dead, investigators said.

In an eeriely light hearted video clip, the teenagers transmitted their last hours in which they smoke, drink and answer classmates’ messages.

They explained the reasons for their actions. Referring to conflicts with their parents and said they had been holed up in the house for three days.
Denis said that he had also shot Katya’s mother in the leg, and the couple said they feared decades in jail if they surrendered. Which is why they ended it forever before the police entered.

Inspite of the teens explainations in the footage, investigators said they were still trying to find out the reason for the ‘desperate step’ by the teenagers, named in Russian media as Denis and Katya.


Recommended For You